On Tuesday, the South Korean presidential office said that North and South Korea restored their cross-border communication lines that had been severed for over a year. The official statement came at 10:00 am local time from the two Koreas’ direct communication hotlines. After North Korea cut off all communication lines in June last year with South Korea due to the protest over Seoul’s supposed failure to stop activists from sending anti- Pyongyang propaganda leaflets into the communist nation. Yonhap reported this issue got solved after a 13 months stalemate in The United State led diplomacy aimed at stripping North Korea of its nuclear weapons.
South Korean President Moon Jae-in and the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) leader Kim Jong Un have exchanged personal letters several times since April to communicate about issues. The statement read that Moon and Kim agreed first to restore the severed inter-Korean communication line and also agreed to restore mutual trust and enhance inter-Korean ties at the earliest. The Spokesperson said the resumed inter-Korean communication lines would play a positive role in the improvement and will help the development of the inter-Korean relationship.